Thursday 11 July 2013

Turn Up Your CHED


When I was a teenager in the early 1970’s I loved listening to the radio more than watching television. I found my imagination could go to places I didn’t even know existed. Living in Edmonton, the AM giant was 630 CHED and I listened to it whenever I could. Heck, I even snuck my transistor radio under my pillow and listened to it when my parents thought I was fast asleep.

The announcers brought everything to life: Wes Montgomery, Al Anderson, Don Kay, Bob McCord, Bruce Bowie, Len Truenesen, Chuck Chandler, Billy Williams, Keith James and so many more. It is still a great thrill today have them as good, personal friends. Take current CHED morning man Bruce Bowie — who is like a brother to me.  We met in 1976 and our friendship keeps growing. Then, there was Eddie Keen, the former Edmonton Journal reporter who wrote editorials for CHED. I started listening to Eddie when I was 13 and he inspired me to be a newspaper reporter.

This Saturday from 1 to 5 p.m at Northlands CHED is broadcasting like they did in the 1970’s when many people in Edmonton listened. They’re calling it Retro Days and we might hear such things as …


“Right now in downtown Edmonton it’s (temperature) C. H. E. Degrees.”


“(Name) is the 630 CHED Good Guy/Gal of the day.”

•Solid Golden Weekends

•The Golden Wheel

• CHED sunspots


  • the Great Bicycle picnics.



Please send your favorite CHED memory from the 1970’s here.


To jod your memory here is a great retro page put together by Keith James

No comments: